Tuesday, October 31, 2006


Mission:Impossible

I must have watched an episode of the original television series, courtesy of my dad, on our reliable Betamax. The only memory I have of the original is this old guy playing spy games. As I have a very vague memory of the original, I'll stick with the movie.

The Plot: There's a mole in the CIA who's planning to steal the NOC list containing all of the agents' names operating worldwide. If this list comes out in the open, it can get pretty nasty. So Ethan Hunt, played by Tom Cruise, and his team of agents are tasked with catching this mole before the list gets out. Things become complicated though when Hunt's team dies on him, and he is being framed for their deaths. Left with no choice, he plays dirty with the CIA.

The Review: The espionage team is younger, and there's more technology involved. The theme of spies and paranoia stick. Hence, the 70's meets the 90's. The action on the train is exhilarating. Although I knew that Tom Cruise would come out alive in the end, still, it's exciting seeing him have numerous close encounters with death in one go. I commend the suspense created by this sequence. It truly is an edge-of-the-seat experience. I'm not lauding this movie just 'coz Tom Cruise is in it. In fact, in all fairness to the guy, he, finally, doesn't mind the cameras and just goes on being Ethan Hunt, rather than being Tom Cruise.

The Rating: 7/10.

Photo courtesy of www.rottentomatoes.com

online college search